Questions for Inter fans

In Basketball we have already seen the rise of the Euroleague, which has pretty much become a league of its own.

In football I think there are not enough markets to make the league sufficiently varied (Italy, France, Spain, England, Germany) and on the other hand there'd be too many teams left out.

Therefore I think that CL will become bigger and bigger, but will never "replace" national tournaments, which have far too much prestige.

A merging of national "minor" leagues instead is more likely (see Basketball once again) simply to make them more competitive. Swedish football would gain a lot in a league with Norwegian, Danish and Finnish teams.

Therefore i'd say: Superleague no, but balkan/baltic/nordic leagues probably yes.

Also gotta keep in mind that there's more independent European nations and therefore more national leagues today than back in 1950-1989.

I don't know much about basketball. Portugal is pretty terrible at it. Benfica dominates Portuguese basketball but it certainly isn't top 10 in Europe. It occasionally had good runs in the 90s beating Panathinaikos once even but that's it. Most Portuguese basketball teams are amateurish. And our league seems to mostly buy American player who weren't good enough for the NBA. Portugal is only really good at football and futsal... and roller hockey but only about 3 European countries care about that sport nowadays.

Well yeah several small countries border each other. We don't border any country with a small league. The alternative would be being swollen by La Liga and that would be terrible for us. Benfica and Porto wouldn't want to become an Everton or a Newcastle. I personally would rather be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.

piotor

Pallone d'oro
  Moderatore
Also gotta keep in mind that there's more independent European nations and therefore more national leagues today than back in 1950-1989.

I don't know much about basketball. Portugal is pretty terrible at it. Benfica dominates Portuguese basketball but it certainly isn't top 10 in Europe. It occasionally had good runs in the 90s beating Panathinaikos once even but that's it. Most Portuguese basketball teams are amateurish. And our league seems to mostly buy American player who weren't good enough for the NBA. Portugal is only really good at football and futsal... and roller hockey but only about 3 European countries care about that sport nowadays.

Well yeah several small countries border each other. We don't border any country with a small league. The alternative would be being swollen by La Liga and that would be terrible for us. Benfica and Porto wouldn't want to become an Everton or a Newcastle. I personally would rather be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.

Portugal anyways has 4 teams of "high" level: Benfica, Porto, Sporting and Braga, all of them with more than decent results in Europe. I think Portugal is big enough to be independent.

The idea of merging leagues usually has more to do with countries where the overall quality is too low and a merging would bring more competition, thus rising the level of the national teams. Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Norawy have been virtually insignificant in Europe since the fall of Rosenborg and a more competitive league would benefit them massively.

Portugal anyways has 4 teams of "high" level: Benfica, Porto, Sporting and Braga, all of them with more than decent results in Europe. I think Portugal is big enough to be independent.

The idea of merging leagues usually has more to do with countries where the overall quality is too low and a merging would bring more competition, thus rising the level of the national teams. Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Norawy have been virtually insignificant in Europe since the fall of Rosenborg and a more competitive league would benefit them massively.
Portugal's main issue is having at least 95% of the country supporting one of the big 3 clubs. Also we're only 10M people and have probably the lowest fertility rates in Europe. Plus the crisis hit our country hard between 2011 and 2014 and we nearly lost half a million young people to go work elsewhere. We're not a very economically strong Western European country either(Greece has been doing worse, though) despite our economy slowly improving lately. We should focus on our former African colonies where the big 3 still have lots of supporters, but Cape Verde, S. Tomé and Guiné-Bissau are too small and lowly populated to make a huge difference. And even Angola and Mozambique, despite their massive sizes, they "only" have about 20-25M people each.

Braga aren't as good as they were between 2009 and 2012. Although they're currently ranked above Sporting in the UEFA rankings :ghigno: But anyway, Braga are just the current "token 4th club" like Boavista were back in the 90s and early 2000s. In some years another one will fill in that role. Also, Braga benefitted from Sporting struggling between 2009 and 2014, kinda like Baovista benefitted from Benfica going through a very rough period between 1995 and 2003. I remember watching Boavista play in the Champions League when I was a kid while Benfica was finishing Primeira Liga in 6th place and 4th place :lac

I miss Rosenborg. Wasn't alive when Sweden had clubs such as Malmo FF and IFK Gottemburg doing interesting things in UEFA competitions.

Sweden has always had better players than clubs anyways. Norway and Denmark also had good teams in the 90s. Hard to believe Norway has once had players like Flo, Solsjkaer, Riise and Carew.

piotor

Pallone d'oro
  Moderatore
Portugal's main issue is having at least 95% of the country supporting one of the big 3 clubs. Also we're only 10M people and have probably the lowest fertility rates in Europe. Plus the crisis hit our country hard between 2011 and 2014 and we nearly lost half a million young people to go work elsewhere. We're not a very economically strong Western European country either(Greece has been doing worse, though) despite our economy slowly improving lately. We should focus on our former African colonies where the big 3 still have lots of supporters, but Cape Verde, S. Tomé and Guiné-Bissau are too small and lowly populated to make a huge difference. And even Angola and Mozambique, despite their massive sizes, they "only" have about 20-25M people each.

Braga aren't as good as they were between 2009 and 2012. Although they're currently ranked above Sporting in the UEFA rankings :ghigno: But anyway, Braga are just the current "token 4th club" like Boavista were back in the 90s and early 2000s. In some years another one will fill in that role. Also, Braga benefitted from Sporting struggling between 2009 and 2014, kinda like Baovista benefitted from Benfica going through a very rough period between 1995 and 2003. I remember watching Boavista play in the Champions League when I was a kid while Benfica was finishing Primeira Liga in 6th place and 4th place :lac

I miss Rosenborg. Wasn't alive when Sweden had clubs such as Malmo FF and IFK Gottemburg doing interesting things in UEFA competitions.

Sweden has always had better players than clubs anyways. Norway and Denmark also had good teams in the 90s. Hard to believe Norway has once had players like Flo, Solsjkaer, Riise and Carew.

Sure, but Portugal's liga has a sufficientyl high value to be interesting and competitive for the whole national movement.

Minor countries instead play "nonsense" leagues, where 1-2 teams dominate and there are semi-amateurs teams in the league.

Even in nordic leagues the teams in the bottom half are "barely" professional, with often coaches having two jobs :D It's no good for the movement to have such disparity. A merging would make sure that all teams would be professionals, allowing also the younger players to have tougher competition. Hence the need for a merge.
Not to mention that in some countries tehre are other minor sports that compete with football (hockey in scandinavia, basketball in the balkans), thefore "draining" a lot of potential talent.

Sure, but Portugal's liga has a sufficientyl high value to be interesting and competitive for the whole national movement.

Minor countries instead play "nonsense" leagues, where 1-2 teams dominate and there are semi-amateurs teams in the league.

Even in nordic leagues the teams in the bottom half are "barely" professional, with often coaches having two jobs :D It's no good for the movement to have such disparity. A merging would make sure that all teams would be professionals, allowing also the younger players to have tougher competition. Hence the need for a merge.
Not to mention that in some countries tehre are other minor sports that compete with football (hockey in scandinavia, basketball in the balkans), thefore "draining" a lot of potential talent.
Football has been professionalised here since the 50s or so, I think.

And our league is not the least competitive in the world but... look at the list of winners: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Portuguese_football_champions

As for Inter... do you guys miss this crest?

inter-milan-crest1.jpg

You guys also had an oval shaped one like Milan and Juventus did? Had no idea.

And what's with the snake one? That one stands out significantly.

Do crests get big changes in Italy like they do in England? In Portugal they don't tend to change much.

Alto